The NPNA neighborhood was settled originally as farmland in the mid- and late-1800′s by some of the prominent families of early Dallas history. In 1878 T.C. Williams, one of the first teachers in Dallas County, sold 189 acres to Howard Cox and Mary Jane (Webb) Cox.
The Cox Home
In 1884 the Cox couple began building a home at 11210 Cox Lane – and adding on to it as their family grew to 11 children. In the first decade of the 1900s, the home was completed and remains as you see it today. The farmhouse is characterized as a “Queen Anne Victorian.” The earliest portion of the structure (the north side) still sits on its original bois d’arc piers. The balloon frame and ship-lath construction are responsible for its excellent condition.
The home served as a focal point for the community and early, prominent settlers of the Dallas area: the Cox family, the Cochran family, the Webb family, the Marsh family, and the Merrell family. These families gathered to discuss matters of local importance and to socialize. “Family lore” has it that Mr. Cox arranged for cattle being driven to market to travel up Cox Lane (for a fee) after merchants along Preston Road complained that the herds were disruptive to business.
The next Cox family generation operated the farm as the Cox Brothers Dairy until the 1950s when, after consulting with their adult children about their desire to retire from farming, they sold to the developers who built the ranch and contemporary homes of our neighborhood.
The Cox home stands as one of the landmarks in our neighborhood, having both City of Dallas and State of Texas historical designations. Janis Baldwin and Lyle Wilson, who owned the home from 1994 to 2015, engaged in its ongoing restoration.
Building the Neighborhood
A school was built on Northaven Road in 1950 followed by the construction of ranch-style homes beginning in 1954. Homes on the Disney Streets of Aladdin, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Sleepy, and Snow White were among the first to be built. By 1961 construction had begun north of Northaven and on the west side of the creek. By the mid-1970s most of the homes in the neighborhood had been built. The shopping center in the northwest corner of Northaven Park opened about 1966.